Thursday, March 3, 2016

The Grace of Kings Review

What can I say about The Grace of Kings by Ken Liu?  I’ve said this as I read it, but it certainly bears repeating, this is the best book I’ve read in a very long time.
Liu is a master of mythology putting his knowledge of eastern myth into this dynamic tome that could easily be compared to The Illiad.  In a world of western myth-based fantasy, Liu took a step farther and introduced a new world.  He builds Dara so gently and so fully the story becomes rich and addictive within the first fifty pages.
Something that really stood out to me about the style of the narrative was the way Liu balanced the Empire and the Rebellion storylines.  With the gods of Dara overseeing the conflict, it allows the reader a somewhat impartial look at the situation with the narrative never leaning one way or another.  It helps the reader to understand each side’s motives, their personal journey, and individual characters.
I’m excited to read The Paper Menagerie by Ken Liu and really looking forward to more installments of The Dandelion Dynasty.  In a cycle of literary mediocrity, Liu stands out like no other.  I can’t wait to see what’s next.